Monday 13 May 2013

FINAL DESIGNS

Here are the final designs for the children's book for Naturesbase.


The cover continues the background illustration from the introductory page for Peru which I think makes a nice backing. I struggled with the cover more so than the inside pages - my initial designs on a similar story I didn't like due to the inclusion of illustrations of children which I feel isn't a strong point of mine and the previous one used a worn map effect as background but it was thought that this would appeal to an older age group than I was aiming for.

I am still not entirely happy with this design but I feel I have recreated the illustrative style of Herge's Tintin quite well. The title and back cover blurb are designed on a worn, aged paper style which is also continued within, and I have opted for hand-lettering. This use of hand-drawn type was the subject of my Independent Study and while initially I had wanted a change and to use Photoshop for the illustration with computer fonts, when encouraged to create the book by hand I decided on hand-drawn type. This suits the theme of this book, which I will expand upon when discussing the inside pages.



These pages would function as the start of the book. The left side introduces the book, encouraging the child to explore the world, and below this are instructions to create your own paper plane. In between the pages here is a tear out sheet with which to create the paper plane, and the right hand side says how to customise the plane and begins the tale in a humorous way. The pages use the same aged paper effect, which I hope gives the feel of an old explorer's map. The palette in the 'customise' section is created with colours found in the garden, something I was inspired to add after Gyles Morris' visit.


The explorer's map style is continued all the way through, here on the introductory page for Peru where describing briefly some of the features of that country. I kept the explanations brief and light to stay in keeping with the age group and focused on what I would have found interesting as a child. The use of hand-lettering within was designed to stay in keeping with the philosophy of the book, encouraging the reader to create things by hand and so I wanted to keep that obvious human touch prevalent in the book and not try to diminish that, rather celebrate it. This was a philosophy I took from extensive research into the subject in my Independent Study.

Although I have changed the story slightly from the notes from Gyles Morris. I hope I have done so in a way as to improve the book and its interactivity. I found the hot air balloon part of the story was too detached from the interactive side, and hand-made paper planes are in keeping with my idea here.

No comments:

Post a Comment