Tuesday 14 May 2013

MOUNTED DESIGNS





My designs are now mounted and ready for submission! I chose to mount them very simply on black board with no borders, and orientated portrait to make use of the available space. I added labels as a title on one board and with my name on both, and used hand-lettering again to reinforce the style and show the continuity. I feel that the designs are presented well, although I am less happy with the designs themselves.

From the moment I began looking into the 'around the world' story I drew out the landscape for Peru which led the rest of the book, as I was happy with how it looked and I received encouragement for the style. This presented problems with the rest of the designs as they had to follow suit, as did the method of colouring, and I never really settled on a design I felt 100% comfortable with. I am a little disappointed for this reason and wonder if I had chosen one of the other possible briefs if I would have found a solution that I liked more,  as this is an industry that I hope to work in. Overall though, this has been a good opportunity to go through the process of book design and develop a story and book that I wouldn't ordinarily have followed, and a good experience in expanding my style. Coupled with my choice of Independent Study, this has also led to a design passion of mine for hand-drawn lettering and illustration and something that I will definitely take into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment