Friday 12 April 2013

INITIAL CONCEPTS

Following initial research, I formulated the idea of a tongue-in-cheek 'survival guide' for adventurous kids who think they are the next Bear Grylls. Following the client notes, I found that this idea could work as a version of 'the Great Naturesbase Detective', and thought of bringing in an added investigative element. It was also the same age group that I planned to target, the 7 to 11 years age bracket.


I have designed a couple of possible front covers, with both mainly typographical. The one on the far left was created on Illustrator, while the other uses hand created typography that resembles intertwining branches, and influenced by illustrators such as Steve Simpson. I would progress this design by creating a full page typographic illustration, that also weaves in the word Naturesbase and any other necessary information. I will also need to consider the colour scheme - here I chose dark green and gold for an old-fashioned style book cover. I see this book being A4 at this stage.


This is an example spread from the book, featuring a lift-the-flap element. This brings an element of the Naturesbase detective angle to the book too, as you have to identify the source of the noise. This concept just features a couple of points but the actual thing would have a large 21 questions style infographic to identify the animals. The book would also feature things such as the reader drawing their own map of the garden and learning how to build a fort and fire.

However, I haven't ruled out designing something along the lines of the hot air balloon ride for a slightly  younger age group as I feel that this would sit well with my passion for picture book design. I will have to broaden my ideas and then decide which route to take.

NB
During the talk, and playing in the garden, I became more enthused about the project, and I began to develop the hot air balloon idea in my head, and scribbled down a rough sketch of a possible scene in the book which I think will be the direction I take with the project.


No comments:

Post a Comment