Thursday 25 April 2013

PROTOTYPES

I decided when creating the first prototypes to stick quite closely to the final submission criteria of a cover and two inside spreads, in order to provide a good realisation of the finished work. This has also shaped how I will be creating the book as I have decided that each country will have a spread showing information about it, and a spread with activities. For now I am carrying on with the designs for Peru, as it is a country I am interested in and so I feel that I should be able to convey more interest and enthusiasm this way. I began with the front cover.


I painted this in watercolour and then lined it with ink, but I am unsure about it. I like the balloon itself, and especially the typography. However, I do not like drawing people and I feel that they detract from the illustration, and the kite and journey stick do not add much either. I'm also unsure whether I like the effect of the sky and so the cover will need a lot of work to be done. I'm currently toying with the idea of the balloon flying over an old looking map which I think could be a nice effect. The title as it stands is 'Up, Up & Away' which I think will remain at this prototype stage as I haven't thought of anything more appropriate but again that is subject to change.


This is the informative atlas-style page which I am very happy with at the moment although there are areas that I am looking to improve. I think that this landscape style allows me to include a lot of features in a small space, and the explanation boxes could be fold out to provide more room. I like the balloon in the background which would provide continuity, and the style of this page could easily be adapted for other countries. As I said in the last post, I am unsure of how to apply colour, whether to try Photoshop or stick to watercolours, but I scanned this page so I can work on it in both ways and decide which style is the most appropriate.



I love drawing animals and so I had a little think of some of the most famous animals from these countries to include, and whether they could be used as guides in the activity pages.


This is a page where the child is encouraged to paint a traditional Andean pattern. I thought it would be a nice touch to include a section challenging the reader to find paint in the garden, for instance mud for brown and grass for green. This is something that Gyles Morris had us do on his visit and I think it would work well within this book. It also encourages the reader to get outside and get the book messy which would be nice.


This page was specified by Gyles, instructing the reader on how to make a traditional Peruvian headdress, which I also think should be made using materials from the garden. This page needs a lot of work to remain interesting, and maybe it should have its own spread with the Andean patterns as a border. I think I will have to include infographics and research how to actually construct one, and this could also be a point in which to include an interactive web element. However, I want this book to persuade kids away from the computer screen so perhaps not. In the bottom corner is the llama guide, which I think would be a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment